mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
 
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
day
00  Month

Councillor fears for town bypass plans

 
Created on 21/11/2010 @ 09:27

A Mid Wales councillor has said he is concerned over the future of a proposed bypass for Newtown following the Welsh Assembly’s draft budget.

Councillor Russell George, town and county councillor for the town, as well as Montgomeryshire’s Conservative Assembly candidate, said the budget on Wednesday included a substantial decrease in the budget for transport.

He said: “I am concerned that the Assembly’s draft budget, which includes a substantial decrease in funding for transport, will further delay the bypass.

“We all understand that cuts are necessary but this is about priorities. Growth in the economy across Mid and West Wales will stagnate until we get a by-pass.”

The preferred route for the bypass was only announced last month, but the Welsh Assembly conceded that work would not start in the near future.

The tendering process to find a contractor will not get under way until next summer at the earliest.

Ieuan Wyn Jones, deputy first minister and minister for transport and economy, said: “£3.1m has currently been allocated for the next stage of scheme development which is to undertake Preliminary Design and prepare draft Orders for publication.

“We will start the process to appoint our technical consultant later this year followed by the tendering process for the contractor in summer 2011.”