mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
 
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
day
00  Month

Plans for historic butcher's given green light

 
Created on 01/04/2021 @ 09:15
Plans have been given the green light to convert one of Llanidloes' historic town centre buildings into a restaurant.

Plynlimon House, which was built in 1894 as a butcher's shop and house for Edward Hamer on the site of a former pub, has received planning approval from Powys County Council.

The planning application is for the change of use from retail to A3 restaurants and cafes. The building is Grade II listed.

Many of the original features of the butcher's shop will be retained or used in the work to convert the building, according to the plans.

The application has been made by Edward Hamer of Edward Hamer Ltd.

"Dated 1894. Built as a butcher's shop and house for Edward Hamer on the site of the former Crown Inn. The business remains within the family. Hamer established a wide reputation for his Plynlimon mutton and became by royal appointment purveyor of meat to the Prince of Wales, Queen Victoria and subsequent members of the Royal Family," said a report by the council's Built Heritage Officer.

"The property retains many features from its original use as a butchers shop, including the tiles in the shop front, the meat rails, the cash office which is an ornate unit dividing the shop from the back room which was the accounts office, and the financial office contains its original integral furniture.

"The proposed use would seek the removal of the clothes rails in the front element of the shop, to expose the tiles and to have tables and chairs within the space. In the rear element of the shop the fitting rooms installed by the previous tenant would be removed and the original room with its cornicing exposed. Both of these would be welcomed as they would remove more modern additions.

"It is noted that the intention is to retain the meat rails which are welcomed as these are part of the fixtures and fittings and clearly identify the use of the building.

"The ornate cash room will remain as a backdrop, and it is noted from furniture on site that the original butchers shop had high quality marble topped display tables and other furniture which are to be reused, which is welcomed, and even if they were not it is clear from old photographs how the interior was furnished when originally built, which was tables in the days before refrigeration."