jobs page link image
 
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
day
00  Month

Town's oldest phone box set for move

 
Created on 27/12/2021 @ 08:44
The last remaining and oldest public phone box in Newtown is set to be moved to a new home.

Newtown Town Council acquired the BT cast iron phone box as part of a scheme that allows them to be repurposed for community and other uses after being switched off for calls.

The town council wants to move the kiosk from where it's been positioned since 1942 alongside The Regent Centre on the corner of Back Land, Long Bridge and Broad Street to an area on the junction of Broad Street and Hugh Street.

The council wants to re-purpose for an alternative use, possibly an information point or for a defibrillator, as many other communities have used the old phone boxes for.

The council has made a pre-application to Powys County Council as it is a Grade II listed structure. It will need special permission from CADW and other historic buildings organisations for the move.

A foundry plate inscribed on the phone box states: "Macfarlane's Ltd, Saracen Foundry, Glasgow."

The phone box is a K6 type, red kiosk designed to the standard Giles Gilbert Scott style, an architect from London.

The design was introduced by the then General post office in 1936, although it is believed this one was installed after 1945.

The town council is expected to make a full planning application for its move following consultation with necessary organisations.

A decision will then be made.