mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
 
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
day
00  Month

Tender published for new £22m Newtown school

 
Created on 07/10/2020 @ 06:51
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Another new school in Newtown has moved forward with a tender package published to build a replacement for Ysgol Cedewain.

The tender has been published by Powys County Council for the replacement special school at a cost of £22 million.
 
The council said the project will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, an ambitious 10-year strategy that was approved in April this year.

There have been calls for the school to be replaced for many years, with Estyn inspectors even commenting on the accommodation pupils are taught in.

In August, the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools Capital Programme Panel, which will fund 75 per cent of the project, approved the council’s Outline Business Case for the new £22m special school. The remaining 25 per cent would be funded by the council.
 
As part of the plans, the new Ysgol Cedewain school will have purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.
 
Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education and Property, said: “The publication of the tender package is a major step forward for this school building project.
 
“We are committed to transforming education in Powys for all our learners. Not only will these plans help us deliver our ambitious strategy but they are also key elements in transforming and improving additional learning needs provision for our vulnerable learners.
 
“As part of our Vision 2025, we are committed to providing world-class facilities, especially for our most vulnerable learners. When complete, it will provide an environment where teaching staff can thrive and give vulnerable learners facilities that meets their needs, they benefit from and enables them to enjoy learning."
icnn logo