mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
 
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
day
00  Month

Plans for a new £9.1 million school revealed

 
Created on 13/07/2020 @ 15:09
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Plans have been revealed to create a new £9.1million school near Newtown.

Powys County Council wants to replace the current Brynllywarch Hall School near Kerry with a new one.

The council's Cabinet will consider the proposal later this month before plans are submitted to the Welsh Government.

"Powys County Council is planning to build a new school for Brynllywarch Hall School and has prepared a combined Strategic Outline Case (SOC) and Outline Business Case (OBC), which will be considered by Cabinet on Tuesday, July 28.

"The investments plans will help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys, an ambitious 10-year strategy that was approved earlier this year (April)."

The school, located in Kerry near Newtown, provides education for pupils from 8 to 19-year olds with a wide range of complex individual needs that are unique to every learner.

Cabinet will be told that the funding required for the replacement school would be £8.7m, with 75% of funding coming from the Welsh Government's 21st Century Schools Programme. The remaining 25% would be funded by the council.

If given the go-ahead, the investment would deliver a purpose-built and flagship community focused school with 72 places in age appropriate environments and would also include:

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet Member for Education, said: "One of our priorities is an innovative and flagship community focused campus to replace the existing Brynllywarch Hall building, which is unsuitable for the teaching and learning required to support those pupils with significant behavioural, emotional and social difficulties.

"If the Strategic Outline and Outline Business cases are approved by both Cabinet and the Welsh Government, this would be a huge investment in our school infrastructure.

Cllr Kath Roberts-Jones, Chair of Governors and Headteacher Gavin Randell, said: "The school and governing body fully supportive of these plans.

"We are excited at the prospect of a new school that will enable us to support some of the most vulnerable young people in Powys. Our pupils deserve access to the best education provision possible that will in turn support the wider population of the young people of Powys as a whole."
icnn logo