mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
00  Month

Robins drop back into trouble

Created on 27/11/2016 @ 17:05
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

A last gasp winner from Adam Hesp saw Cefn Druids edge an uninspiring game at The Rock on Friday night to put Newtown back into the relegation places in the Dafabet Welsh Pemier League.

Clear cut chances were few and far between throughout the game, and it took until the 89th minute for Hesp to stick a boot out and deflect a late shot into the net.

Ryan Kershaw sent a free kick over, before Jason Oswell crossed for Luke Boundford who came within inches of opening the scoring on ten minutes, when he found himself free at the back post.

Shane Sutton nodded a Craig Williams corner narrowly over, with the Robins causing the most danger early on.

However shortly after, the home side passed up the best chance of the half to take the lead. A quick break from Huw Griffiths’ saw Mike Pritchard cross for Aaron Bowen but he could only turn a shot over from eight yards.

Oswell fired into the side netting after a neat turn and cross from Kershaw, with Naim Arsan volleying wide at the other end, as both sides went in search of that elusive breakthrough before half time.

Druids were coming forward and pumping balls into the box but to no avail, and Sutton glanced a header way wide of the mark with the last kick of the half.

The Robins again began the second period brighter, however all they had to show for their efforts was a Tom Goodwin effort easily gathered by stopper Michael Jones.

Nothing was dropping for either side, as a midfield battle ensued in the cold Cefn weather, and neither side looked like breaking the deadlock.

Druids were presented with a real chance with 20 minutes remaining, as an Arsan free kick fell to substitute Jordan Harper, who drew a smart save from Dave Jones.

With five minutes to go the Robins almost shot themselves in the foot. 

Andy Jones was dispossessed at the back, and Harper ran through but was denied by a strong hand from Jones.

Goodwin fired wide with two minutes remaining, as the game looked to be petering out into a 0-0 draw.

However the strong Robins following were to be sent home unhappy as Newtown failed to clear a long ball into the box with just a minute to go.It fell to Pritchard, who drove a shot in for Hesp to get a toe on the ball and find the net.


icnn logo