mobile phone link image
jobs page link image
 
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter
day
00  Month

Fire service urges 'think gas'

 
Created on 02/09/2011 @ 12:04
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service are reminding the public in Montgomeryshire to ´take care, be gas safe´ during gas safety week next week (12-18 September).

Fire safety officers in the area are encouraging homeowners to take care of their gas appliances with regular servicing and safety checks to ensure they are ´gas safe´ this winter.

Community Safety Support Manager Beverley Davies said: "Poorly serviced or badly fitted gas appliances can lead to gas leaks, and can potentially cause serious fires, explosions, or carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is often referred to as a ´silent killer´ because it can´t be seen or smelled. The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are rather like symptoms people feel when suffering from the flu.

"We are urging people to get their fossil fuel burning appliances serviced regularly by qualified engineers. Getting a carbon monoxide alarm will also act as a failsafe, because it can identify the presence of carbon monoxide even if our senses can´t. If people in households that use gas or other fossil fuel heating appliances feel sick or dizzy, develop a headache, or feel drowsy or weak, they should go out into fresh air straight away. If they feel better once they´re outside, it might be carbon monoxide poisoning, and they should seek medical attention immediately."

The public can access further information on how to stay safe from carbon monoxide poisoning at the ´Home Safety´ section of the MWWFRS website (www.mawwfire.gov.uk).

icnn logo